CELEBRATING WORLD HERITAGE THROUGH EXHIBITIONS, PUBLICATIONS, AND EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMMING
- May 2023 Merrion & Smith, in partnership with the Library of Congress and the National Institute of Manuscripts under the Academy of Sciences of Turkmenistan, concluded a series of programs focused on the conservation and restoration of 80 ancient manuscripts and lithographically printed books. The delegation that travelled to work on the manuscripts consisted of Mr. William Bradford Smith, Co-Founder and CEO of Merrion & Smith, Ms. Yasmeen Khan, Head of the Book Conservation Department at the Library of Congress, and Ms. Tamara Ohanyan, Senior Specialist of the Book Conservation Department at the Library of Congress.
To learn more visit: https://tm.usembassy.gov/u-s-library-of-congress-and-institute-of-manuscripts
- July 21, 2022 CEO W. Bradford Smith speaks at the National Endowment for the Humanities 2022 Global Humanities Symposium: Observing Cultural Diplomacy. Special thanks to host Meridian International Center for the platform and the National Endowment for the Humanities for their continued support of cultural relations and the arts. To learn more about this program visit: https://www.meridian.org/announcement/2022-global-humanities-symposium-observing-cultural-diplomacy/
- May 10-13, 2022 Merrion & Smith participate in the 2022 Global Cultural Relations Platform (GCRP) in Istanbul, Turkey. The GCRP is sponsored by the European Union and brings together cultural diplomacy experts from 38 countries to share skills, ideas, and develop their international networks. To learn more about this program visit: https://www.cultureinexternalrelations.eu/.
- November 15, 2021 M&S Exhibition Allies for Freedom:Portraits of Filipino and American Courage in World War II is added to the Google Arts and Culture platform. The exhibition, still on display at Fort Santiago, Intramuros, is also available in a digital walking tour format with added voiceover.
To visit the digital tour: https://storage.net-fs.com/hosting/6963583/2/
Google Arts and Culture: https://artsandculture.google.com/story/allies-for-freedom/xQKC5La7tBRvKg
- September 24, 2021 In partnership with the U.S. Embassy in Turkmenistan, CEO W. Bradford Smith participates in a congratulatory video series celebrating the 30th anniversary of Turkmenistan's independence. The video features a collection of U.S. diplomats and cultural experts who have contributed to diplomacy and cultural programs in Turkmenistan. To read more about this project visit:
- July 1, 2021: In partnership with the U.S. Embassy in the Philippines, M&S launches a cooperative photographic exhibition celebrating 75 years of diplomatic relations. As a follow up to the Allies for Freedom: Portraits of Filipino and American Courage in World War II exhibition, this exhibit highlights moments in diplomatic history from 1946 to present and was debuted on the historic grounds of the U.S. Embassy in Manila.
- November 6, 2020: M&S receives the 28th Ambassadors Fund for Cultural Preservation grant in Turkmenistan in partnership with the Magtymguly Institute of Language, Literature, and National Manuscripts under the Academy of Sciences of Turkmenistan. Read more at: shorturl.at/vIMTZ
- September 29, 2020: M&S wins the U.S. Embassy in Ashgabat Fulbright-Hays Federal Award for the exchange of biotechnology experts from the Academy of Sciences in Turkmenistan. This project will enable five Turkmen specialists to travel to the U.S. and work with American specialists in the fields of Biotechnology Commercialization, Environmental Science, Agriculture, and Entomology.
- September 23, 2020: M&S begins a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Embassy in the Philippines, in partnership with the Intramuros Administration and Google Arts and Culture Philippines to digitize the Allies for Freedom: Portraits of Filipino and American Courage in World War II exhibition. Through this project, M&S will also publish an accompanying catalog detailing the story of this commemorative exhibition.
- September 3, 2020: CEO W. Bradford Smith speaks at a virtual ceremony commemorating the 75th Anniversary of the end of the Second World War in the Philippines. Smith was joined by speakers U.S. Ambassador to the Philippines Sung Kim, Japanese Ambassador to the Philippines Koji Haneda, and Philippine Secretary of National Defense Delfin Lorenzana.